DCMS celebrates successful year at Annual Meeting & Presidential Ball
Thursday, December 6, 2018
Posted by: DCMS
The Duval County Medical Society (DCMS) celebrated another successful year at the DCMS 166th Annual Meeting & Presidential Ball on December 1, 2018. During the event, Ruple Galani, MD, was reaffirmed as the Society’s 2019 President. Dr. Galani is an invasive non-interventional cardiologist at Baptist Heart Specialists in Jacksonville Beach. Dr. Galani currently serves on the Baptist Heart Specialists Board of Directors and is the lead echocardiography physician for Baptist Heart Specialists. He is also on the Jacksonville Country Day School Board of Trustees and was a 2018 Leadership Jacksonville class member. He has also received Spirit of Magnet Award nominations for his leadership at Baptist.
Also at the event, the following physicians were elected as 2019 Duval County Medical Society Officers and Board of Directors:
- President-Elect- James St. George, MD, St Johns Vein Center
- Vice-President- Elizabeth DeVos, MD, UF College of Medicine - Jacksonville
- Vice-President- Steven Kailes, MD, Emergency Resources Group
- Treasurer- Mark Dobbertien, DO, Naval Hospital Jacksonville
- Secretary- Cynthia Anderson, MD, Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center
Board of Directors:
- Ingrid Carlson, MD, Carlson Medical PLLC
- Marie Crandall, MD, UF Health - Jacksonville
- Patrick DeMarco, MD, Allergy & Asthma Specialists of North Florida
- Ferdinand Formoso, DO, Coastal Spine & Pain Center
- Carl Freeman, MD, Jacksonville Orthopaedic Institute
- F. Huson Gilberstadt, MD, St. Vincent’s HealthCare/Ascension
- Timothy Groover, MD, Baptist Medical Center
- Ali Kasraeian, MD, Kasraeian Urology
- Yvette McQueen, MD, MedQueen LLC
- William Palmer, MD, Mayo Clinic
- Phil Pirgousis, MD, Mayo Clinic
- Daniel Thimann, MD, Emergency Resources Group
Several physicians received awards at the DCMS Annual Meeting for their service work within the Jacksonville community.
The Clyde M. Collins Humanitarian Award went to Barry Steinberg, MD, DDS, PhD. Dr. Steinberg has been making contributions to humanitarian surgical work, military service and community service for over 20 years including founding the Facing Futures Foundation and serving as a Reserve Officer, Medical Advisor and member of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office SWAT team.
The DCMS Community Service Award was given to Sue Nussbaum, MD who served as the first Executive Director of We Care Jacksonville. Dr. Nussbaum works tirelessly to support the medically needy in our community. She has increased free volunteer primary clinics, secured transportation, housing and food access for patients, and much more.
This year’s Philip H. Gilbert Young Physician Leadership Award went to Brian Yorkgitis, DO, a critical care and acute care/trauma surgeon at UF Health-Jacksonville. He has trained over 2,000 people in Greater Jacksonville in Stop the Bleed techniques, a national effort to turn bystanders into lifesavers when tragedy strikes. Dr. Yorkgitis has also made huge local impact in the areas of opioid prescribing and firearm safety.
The DCMS also annually recognizes excellence in research published by its members and by residents in training in Jacksonville post graduate medical education programs.
The John A. Beals' Award for Medical Research was started by Dr. John Beals to recognize outstanding research and publications by members of the DCMS. This year three awards were given:
• John A. Beals Award for Original Investigation – Josef Cortez, MD
• John A. Beals Award for Clinical Observation – Mark Hudak, MD
• John A. Beals Award for Review – Mark Hudak, MD
The G. Shahin Award was established in 1995 by Dr. Shahla Masood in honor of her mother, Ghadireh Shahin. It recognizes excellence in published research by a resident or fellow performed during training in Duval County, with the research being done while training. This year one award was given:
• G. Shahin Award for Original Investigation – Desiree Raygor, MD
Thank you to all of the DCMS members who attended this year's event! We enjoyed celebrating with you. Check out our event photos on the DCMS Facebook page and feel free to tag yourself!